top of page

Public Works Department

Contact Us

501 W. 24th Street

Ashtabula OH 44004

The City of Ashtabula Department of Public Works is responsible for removing snow and ice from streets, installation and maintenance of traffic signals and signs, pavement markings on City streets and maintenance of the grounds in our parks and around City Buildings. The Department also handles storm and sewer line repairs and maintenance along with street sweeping, street repairs and yard waste pick-up.

Snow Removal Program

The Public Works Department is responsible for snow removal on over 260 roads within the City limits. There are over 90 center lane miles of road the department maintains. The link below outlines our procedures to clear the streets during snow events.


Yard Waste Pick-up

The Department of Public Works collects yard waste curbside during the months of April, May, October and November. A pick-up schedule for your home can be found in the link below.


During the months April and May as well as October and November, residents can place grass clippings, leaves, and small twigs in biodegradable paper bags at the curbside for pickup free of charge. Public Works will not collect yard waste in plastic bags or bags filled with dirt or rocks.  Branches, up to 3 feet in length and less than 2 inches in diameter, should be bundled in piles of less than 20 lbs. and tied during these months. During the months of June, July, August and September, there will not be curbside collection. Residents can bring their bags to the Transfer Station free of charge. BRUSH AND LOOSE BRANCHES WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTED AT THE TRANSFER STATION. All items dropped off must be in leaf bags only. If you have brush on your property which needs disposed of, please call Public Works to arrange pickup.


You must be a resident of the City of Ashtabula in order to drop these bags at our Transfer Station.


Residents are encouraged to mulch when cutting grass, which adds nitrogen to the soil and can reduce fertilizer use by as much as 30%.


Report a Pothole

To report a pothole that needs attention, please call the reporting hotline at (440) 992-7100. If possible, please be as specific as possible when reporting the location in need of road repair. You will be prompted to leave a message with the details of the location. Messages are received by the Department, but calls will not be returned unless more information is needed.

If you need to report damage to your vehicle from a pothole, you will need to file a police report as soon as possible, then bring this information to the City Manager’s Office. The City will file a claim with its insurance carrier who decides what claims may be covered.


Report a Sewer or Storm Drain Back-up

If you experience a sewer back-up, or see a storm drain back-up causing flooding in the roadway, please call the Department of Public Works at (440) 993-7036. If it is after 3:00 p.m., please call the Police non-emergency number at (440) 992-7172 so our employees can be dispatched to help.

Leaf Bag Anchor
bottom of page